1. Visit the 23andMe website and register an account. This is free.
2. Decide on the 23andMe package you want to purchase. At this time, 23andMe offers 3 packages.
3. After purchasing your 23andMe kit, standard shipping typically gets it to your door in about 3 days. It will arrive in sealed bag which contains a small cardboard box. Inside the box is a quick start manual, spit funnel, and spit funnel seal bag. The included box container has a pre-paid shipping label already on it which you will use to mail back to the 23and Me labs.
See pictures below.
4. Register your lab kit on 23andMe.com with the free account you made in step 1. To register your kit, find a barcode number on your spit funnel. You will enter this number on the 23and Me.com website. After registering the funnel, you may be prompted to answer a series of various health and family questions. Originally, 23andMe does not tell you the questions are optional OR how many questions it wants you to complete. When we did them, there were about 90 or so questions that were all multiple choice. The questions were simple and you can always choose not to answer. Be prepared, if you decide to answer all the questions in one sitting it can take around 30 minutes.
5. When you are ready, you will spit into the funnel until it's filled to the line. Before you spit, you cannot eat or drink anything fo 30 minutes. See the quick-start book included in your kit. Below are the pictures.